In the mid-1800s Benedictine Monks established a mission on land called ‘New Subiaco’ and the suburb retained that name after the monks moved on to New Norcia. The Subiaco Hotel was built in 1897 in the heady gold rush days for an estimated 4.500 pounds. Subiaco was a working man’s suburb with small cottages and lots of light industry like engineering works, bakeries etc. The location was perfect, on the newly built railway line, near Subiaco Football Oval built in 1909.
The hotel underwent several renovations during its first century as it catered for the growing demographic and changing tastes. Sadly the hotel balconies were removed in 1957 by decree of the local government for the misguided reason of ‘obscuring the views of drivers’.
The Monaghan family have operated the Subi for the past three decades. In 1976 it was ‘the local’ and well known as a live band venue. It still operated as the ubiquitous corner pub until 1994 when a major transformation turned it into Perth’s first gastro pub. The pub profile of Perth was altering – no longer the domain of just men but a more sophisticated patron who valued design, good food, wine and coffee; who demanded a welcoming ambiance for all demographics. It earned many award for excellence. The suburb of Subiaco also was changing to a trendy inner city residential area and a centre for up market fashion, cafes and bars.
In 2014 the hotel underwent its biggest innovation. Having stood for 117 years it needed a structural makeover and facelift and architects Christou Deign reshaped the interior with exciting spaces while maintaining the history and heritage which has made the Subiaco Hotel a much loved venue.